Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Which is better.... Johnnie walker black OR Chivas Regal?

I prefer Chivas now....I use to like johnnie walker black, not anymore... There both aged for 12 years... But Chivas has a more rich wood smokey flavor that I like...|||I don't think there is a wrong answer, they're both decent blends at an affordable price point and it just comes down to preference. Like you, I would reach for the Chivas first.



Scotch is whiskey, by the way. The snobs are all into single malts, and there's nothing wrong with that, but the mistake a lot of them make is to think 'single malts = better than' rather than 'single malts = different than'. and that you just haven't discovered single malts yet. There are fabulous blended Scotches that make some single malts taste like piss.



Chivas isn't one of them, but that's not the point.|||I prefer whiskey over scotch... my favorite being Jefferson Reserve. It's about $50 a bottle though.



If I feel like mixing a drink with Coke, I'll use either Crown Royal, Jack Daniels SB or my new favorite Knob Creek.



One to look out for is Dickel, which is around $21 per bottle. I haven't tried it, but it has good ratings, and my friends like it. Also, for a cheap bourbon, Old Grandad is good for the price.



As for scotch, I like Glenlivet 16 year Nadurra and the 18 year. The 18 year is on sale for $55, which is a good price, since the 12 years is $50 at Bevmo.com. I think Johnnie Walker is overrated, but if you like it, stick with the Black, as there is almost no notable difference in the more expensive labels. I've never really given Chivas a chance.|||If you like a smoky flavour, you need to ditch the blends and introduce yourself to the world of single malt Scotch. Check out some peatier varieties like maybe Laphroaig if you think you like smoke and then try some others with more complex tastes than blended whiskys. Blends are good when you're starting to like whisky, but once you've developed your pallet, get into some single malt Scotches. You'll thank me.|||Better is subjective, so you've answered your own question: you like Chivas better. If you want something different and better, upgrade to the 18 or try some of the single malts they use to make Chivas, it's mostly Strathisla and Longmore, plus (probably) some Glenlivet and Glen Keith.

No comments:

Post a Comment